Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Little Advice

I am writing from the beautiful mountains of Utah. A chance to get all caught up with my photo life. But a day after arriving, my external hard drive (with all my sittings that I hadn't closed out) crashed.

I knew something like that would happen at some point. As much as I use technology, the odds are clear. Luckily, I have all my original files backed up on discs. The painful part is, all the editing to images, pages designed for albums and the last 2 years of my TIME are NOT backed up.

It is not a suicidal event. But it is still painful!

So, the moral of the story is: BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP!!

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Ouch-ee, ouch-ee, ouch-ee, ouch-ee, ouch-ee. Not fun. Any chance some tech guru can recover it for you?

SHAKS Watts said...

There is a recovery option, hopefully. No guarentee. And it is expensive. But time is money either way. The disk still reads a directory full of files, but it won't move from the disc to the computer.

Did you know that you are not supposed to completely fill up a hard drive? If you do, the chances for failure are high. And I had done just that a couple of weeks ago and was busy pulling things off of it. They suggest leaving 10% of free space. Now why wouldn't anyone say that ahead of time? Packaging: "500G, but only 450G of usable space."

Telaina asked the recovery company whaich hard drive is the best to purchase and use. "Any drive somewhere else" was the answer. It isn't a matter of IF it will fail, but a matter of WHEN.

Hard lesson to learn. And I thought I had prepared well for it. At least I have all the originals.