Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wanted: Brain Space

Yesterday I had a wonderful girls' day/night scrapbooking at the Expo Center. It was a revisit to a very fun annual tradition. It is energizing (and, at times, a little distracting) to scrap with SO many other women, but also it is a strange kinship to share. You haven't seen it all 'til you see 1600 women hauling in boxes and boxes of craft supplies.

It is fun to be together, chat away, catch up, laugh, and in our case, eat lunch in a minivan! (Who's got time to leave for lunch?) Let's hear it for the scrapbook sisterhood.

Well, with one TINY exception. Since starting my own business, I haven't had a chance to scrapbook like I love to. At first I missed it. Then I seriously mourned it. Then I told myself I could still get caught up. One day. Now I have come to the realization that my family will have a few years of their lives not documented in albums. It's the truth. I can honestly admit it. And I have come to terms with it.

So instead of paper and markers, I took my laptop. And worked on work. Don't feel bad, this is not a "woe is me" post. Oh contrare. I LOVE my laptop. I LOVE working. One creative outlet was replaced with another.

But there was a little part of me that missed that feeling of completion of having album pages to show by the end of the night. I missed the sound of my paper being cut by my well used chopper.

But today, I allowed myself some time to do what I used to do in January---create birthday invitations. I COULD make very cool ones and plan a super party and love every minute of it. But I can't. There is just no room in my head to do it all. Or the time to do it. But after yesterday, I figured I deserve to do something for me and have a tiny portion of, "Look what I did!"

So here it is:


Nothing fancy. Pretty darn simple. Just like my scrapbooks. Just like the way I used to do it. It's the same 'ole me in there. I just wish there was more space to share both sides of my life.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That's cool Heidi! Love the invite and your stories!

Alisha said...

VERY cute! I love it, Heidi!! Did you print them out like pictures?