Thursday, January 15, 2009

Crossed Fingers

Miscommunication between Slade and me:

Me: "Slade, maybe I will go on the ski club bus some Thursday."

Slade: "Cool. Maybe Kate (a lady he works with) will go too." (He claims she is exactly like me. Husbands who ski or snowboard but we don't really have a huge desire to learn.)

Me: "OK."

Later the day . . .
Slade: "I talked with Kate. She's checking with her husband."

Me: "OK."

A week later --this past Monday . . .
Slade: "What are you doing Thursday? Kate and her husband can go." (Not, "They can go, do you want to go?")

Me: "OH?! I know I have something Thursday night." (I was right, it was being with the kids so he could be ski club director.)

Slade: "Looks like you can go."

Me: "Sure enough." (Unenthusiastically.)

Tuesday . . .
Me: "You know Slade. Going on the ski club bus is a 9 hour commitment. I rarely have 9 hours of time devoted to one thing. Much less the things that I want to do. Maybe I could go the next week? . . ."

Slade: "You said you'd go."

But that's just it. In my mind, I was considering it. I thought I'd have a buffer or two in between mentioning it to firming it up. (Those buffers were my "outs"--I wasn't ready for a commitment. Esp. in January--it's already busy.)

Slade was so excited this morning. At least I can take comfort that he wants me to be there.

BUT there is hope!!

I clearly expressed the need for a snowboard lesson (I need accountability or I will easily quit.) And they won't have instructors tonight. Slade is going to ask Kate if she would prefer to wait until a Friday in February to have a lesson. All my hope hinges on Kate, a woman I have never met. Slade says she is as leery as I am about going. Will she really be my sister in (or OUT of) snowboarding?

I guess time will tell. Hopefully before 3:00 pm.

No comments: