Thursday, January 8, 2009

House Update

We still have a "For Sale" sign in the front yard. It's been a long time since we thought of it as "on the market" and even longer that we've kept it in a "showing" state. But today as I sat down in my scroungy clothes ready for a day hitting the computer (in a good way, not frustrated way) and after giving our basement carpets one last cleaning (except for the one that is SO ruined and needs to be pulled out yesterday), I received a call from an agent. She asked if she could show it in an hour. YIKES!! Kids haven't made beds, clothes and towels hidden in closets, my office furniture and boxes are spread all over the house (b/c I'm waiting for the basement to dry AND to time not occupied cleaning carpets), a few remaining Christmas things out (not cute decorations, the bulky things I hoped Slade would notice and put away), and of course, the ridiculous smell permeating from the basement. Not to mention the broken clay pillar, two ruined carpets and a tree fallen over in the yard.

As I write that all down, my white-trash awareness comes front and center. (It's a good thing she called.) Even if it is strangers . . .it's a little much!

I called Slade to get a dose of, "You can do it" but instead he said, "Call her back and say no." But that seemed wrong since, oh yeah, WE put the house on the market. I did call back and give a disclaimer/warning! She said they'd come.

I hustled and got a lot done and left (in my scroungy-don't-go-in-public clothes.) I came back to see a business card on the table a foot from the front door. I'm thinking the didn't go much further than that (and I HOPE so!)

Needless to say, my house is not quite so messy (notice I did NOT say clean.)

And I've asked for our house to be taken off the market.

I just want a day with my computer and not cleaning anything.

3 comments:

Alisha said...

:) Ah life. It certainly is ironic sometimes, isn't it?

I had a 1 hour cleaning scramble yesterday morning getting ready for play group. It's amazing how gross it can get without noticing it until I start to look at it from the potential eyes of "someone else."

Michelle said...

Hi Heidi!!! We just moved this summer in quite the same fashion! So when I say I feel for you, I mean I FEEL for you. So glad I stumbled onto your blog!

Carrie said...

Hi Heidi! It's Carrie Amdal. Sorry to hear about your basement. That really stinks. ...literally? :)