Monday, June 8, 2009

Solved

I have a weakness. For "sick" kids. I believe them when they say they don't feel well.

Slade does not share this weakness. In fact, so much so that he has set boundaries for the kids (and me.)

"You can ONLY come home from school IF:
1. you have a fever
2. you have barfed"

I have found great power in holding to those two items this year. That is until the school calls back and says, "You will come pick her up" after someone failed both parts of the test but moaned in class long enough to warrant dismissal. Or, "He says he barfed. He needs to go home." I tried to explain that Sawyer counts burps as barf at times. He still came home.

So yesterday Sawyer began scheming.

12:30 "I don't feel well."
"Hmmmm. You look fine."

1:30 "I won't be able to go to school tomorrow."
"Why is that, Sawyer?"
"You can't go for 24 hours after barfing."
"Barfing where things come out Sawyer. I haven't seen that."

3:00 Picture Sawyer running around Grandpa's yard with the dogs.

3:30 "I don't feel good, Mom."
I stared him down, he can't keep a straight face when he's lying. Although he is getting better at it holding out longer.

5:30 "I don't want to go to school tomorrow, Mom."
"Do you not want to go because of field day?"
"No, I LOVE field day."
"Why don't you want to go then?"
Shoulder shrug.

8:00 "Groan . . . "
"You know you are going to school tomorrow, Sawyer. Good-night."

THIS MORNING

6:30 "I don't feel good. I don't need breakfast."
Then he disappears.

6:49 "Sawyer, I am leaving in 9 minutes and you need to be dressed and ready to go with me." (Slade)

6:51 "Groan. . . . ."
"What's the reason Sawyer?"
No response. Slade and I are stumped.

7:00 Sawyer pouted his way out the door.

All this time I KNOW he is faking, but part of me wonders if there is something that is really physically wrong and I am a mean mother for making him go to school. ("Remember rule #1 and #2, Heidi . . .Remember rule #1 and #2 . . . ")

8:41 Sawyer's teacher calls from school.
"Sawyer forgot his animal report at home."
It is ALL coming together!
"I didn't know about an animal report."
muffled "Sawyer, did you do your animal report?"
even more muffled "No."

Case of the "sick" boy solved. Looks like Sawyer will be doing some homework on the last day of school. And maybe then some.

I am not a bad mom for falling for the sickness. But how did I miss the info about the animal report?! I don't know that papers in the backpack are the best way to go anymore.

No comments: