Saturday, April 11, 2009

at the mall

I do not go to the mall very often these days. For a variety of reasons. The economy, trying to reduce my footprint (there's not a lot that I truly NEED), getting older and find myself avoiding "crowds" and who's got the time?!

But we loaded the kids up last night to go for one reason. The Heart Gallery of Oregon http://www.heartgalleryoregon.org/ (I wrote about a couple months ago) has a display there. We wanted the kids to see kids that aren't in stable homes, to put a face with the idea that they can't take all their toys with them. That they don't always live with their brothers and sisters. That they may not every see their parents again. And that those parents were very likely abusive or neglectful. Their little world grew a little as we talked.
This is a print of an image I took back in the fall. He was adopted in December and returned to foster care in February.
I took this image in February. Very cute brothers. And so happy to be together for the session. They live in different foster care homes at the moment.
The rest of the images are not ones that I took, but I think they are cute. And Avy enjoyed using my cell phone to take them. If you find yourself at the mall (or even nearby), take a look. It shows through April and is close to the Barnes and Noble.


2 comments:

meghan said...

Oh you are doing a good job tugging at my emotional strings! I feel for those foster kids. I just watched and 8 month old who was taken from her mother the other day for various reasons and I just looked deep into her eyes and thought of all the loving couples who are trying so hard to be parents and how her mother was treating her and I wish I could just take her and give her to the families that would lover her to no end!! Oh, what a world we live in! There are wonderful things too, but it hurts me to see other people hurt others.

Alisha said...

I'm glad we found it the other day! It's a great exhibit!! (And how great that your pic is front and center. ;))