Friday, February 6, 2009

The Heart Gallery

A few months ago I had a fabulous shoot. The little boy was sweet, reserved while still trying lots of great things. The images were incredible!

But they can't go in my portfolio. This little boy was a foster child and privacy prohibits me from using them.

The Heart Gallery of Oregon (http://www.heartgalleryoregon.org/ ) is a non-profit organization that coordinates photographers with children in foster care to bring awareness of their needs. The images are used online and in print in state-wide traveling galleries showing the need for adoptive families for these kids. Isn't that a wonderful organization? I am so glad to be a part of it.

This month there is a gallery showing at Pioneer Place. Last night Slade and I attended their opening event (with champagne and chocolates. Slade enjoyed the chocolate, I had enough will power to pass on them.)

We weren't sure of the exact location so we wandered around the mall. We were on the 4th floor and headed towards the escalator down. And then I saw it. My image. It was HUGE!! 40x60 hanging in the front window. I literally stopped in my tracks. It was gorgeous! (I hope it doesn't seem conceited to say that.)

If you have time to look at the website, guess which one it is. Hint: the little boy is wearing red, and you can only see one eye. It sounds weird, but just take a look.

We loved looking at the other images and walked away thinking about three things:
1. our role in society
2. the classism that exists for those most truly need it
3. that we love big prints!

Some wall spaces are going to be rearranged in our home's near future.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I went to the website,...can you see his eye but it's just in the shadow?

SHAKS Watts said...

Yep, it's in shadow. The eye you do see is so clear and almost torquise. Cute little boy. He was adopted before Christmas.

Alisha said...

Are the pictures still on display at Pioneer Place?? I would LOVE to go down and see them . . . !