Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What Comes Around . . .



Slade and I grew up in a large families. People were around all. the. time. It was just a part of life. By default, I think it also meant some major coordination and organization of and by the parental figures. But I never knew just how much that until this last week.

Here is my assessment of doubling the kids in our home:

1. It is loud. My mom never liked listening to the radio when driving. She claimed it "discouraged talking" and I never bought her excuse. Now I find myself turning off my beloved public radio just to listen to nothing when driving to and from work. The sound of silence.

2. Showers. Who needs a schedule? We do!! Yep, I am now doing the thing I SWORE I would never do.

3. Shopping. We really hate being such consumers but it takes a lot of food (and shelf space) to feed that many kids. I used to buy extra groceries just to have on hand and to have meal options for our culinary whims. Not anymore. If we aren't eating it this week, it isn't making it into the cart.

4. I am a flake. Please forgive me if I miss something, don't call you back or just don't show up. It is not my intention. I just can't remember it all. I try to console myself that my parents had time to acclimate to 6 kids. (But I had my flakey moments before this so I think it is me.)

5. A lot of things are truly an AGE issue. It is nice to see other kids acting similarly to ours. It IS developmental, not necessarily obstinacy towards me.

6. Bedtime is sacred. "Slade time" (Slade's way of saying "your day is over, so I can close out mine") is essential.

7. I look forward to my time with Slade. And I don't take it for granted!

8. Why fight the obvious flow of things? Sure they can do homework as soon as they get home from school and then go stir crazy after dinner. OR they can play, rumpus about, and NOT do homework until after dinner and then things naturally quiet down.

9. Gratitude goes a LONG way. It is very nice to hear compliments and pleasantries so frequently. Twice the kids, twice the nice things being spoken.

10. Supportive extended family makes an amazing difference in our lives.

So with our "week anniversary" approaching tomorrow, we have no regrets. And in fact, are VERY thankful for the blessing to be a part of their lives. It is fun thinking about them throughout the day, wondering how their days are progressing, and looking forward to being with everyone again.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

What a great post! (And 3 in one week . . . ?! Nice! Keep 'em coming!) Yes, I enjoy the sound of silence when I drive, too. And yes, I feel your pain on the dreaded scheduling of the showers. Never say never, I've learned, unfortunately. Glad things are going well!

Chiska said...

Wow! You're amazing.